Wednesday, March 13, 2013

10 Ways in 10 Days Series- Day 3- Stress Relievers

Welcome to day three of our series to live a more meaningful life. By now if you have been following the series, you have forgiven your wayward mother in law and quit your job…no? Not quite?

Today we will be talking about something much less life changing but life affirming all the same. We will be discussing five things you can do in the week to significantly reduce the stress in your life.

Stress is one of the biggest contributors to burn out and living an unhappy life.  Even as you are enjoying a quiet moment, being subconciously stressed can consistently undermine your peace.

Here are five ways to lower your blood pressure and have a more peaceful week:

5.) Make your work and play space enjoyable. Spend one hour per week organizing your physical workspace. Living and working in a chaotic environment day in and day out may not feel stressful, but your subconscious is picking up on the subtle stress. Spend one hour Friday afternoon organizing your up coming week, cleaning out your old worthless notes and deleting irrelevant files. Do this one hour spring cleaning on your home or car as well. You will be surprised how comforting a clean work desk is to come in to the following Monday morning

Mentally check in to your peaceful place- this is mine
4.) Practice balance in all aspects of life. Too much of a good thing is still always…too much. Our rule is that when something new comes into your life, something old must leave to maintain balance. If you invested in yourself this week and got a new pair Louboutins (jealous) take last season’s favorite pair and donate them to Goodwill or give to a friend. Make enjoyable things more enjoyable by practicing them in moderation.

3.) Find a routine you enjoy. Many people say going to the gym can be cathartic, I am not this person. However, I do acknowledge the benefit of a positive, stress relieving routine. Mine is turning out all the lights in the house and lighting candles. One hour of candlelit chores does something to help me re-focus and center myself. Other positive routines include going for a daily walk, talking with your spouse, gardening, cooking, meditating or visualizing yourself in a serene positive space. Anything that feeds your soul and gives you peace for a few hours.

2.) Remember a time you were successful. Sometimes when stressful situations feel insurmountable it is comforting to remember a time you overcame a struggle and reflect on the personal tools you used to do so. Relive a successful moment- over and over and over.  Remind yourself that you overcame a stressful situation in the past and have the life experience to do it again. One time when I was overwhelmed and at my wits end in my personal life I complained to a social work friend. She asked me to assess the situation. I did and still felt terrible. She asked me to reflect on something “hard” that I had done well. After thinking for a moment I said I felt I was good in my career. If I was great in my work she said, then I have the same tools to be great in other areas of my life. She told me, that you cannot be great in one area of life and terrible in another. The same skills I have at work are ones I can use to simplify my personal life. Any skills that I have used to successfully navigate stressful situations are skills that I can fine tune to use to be successful in every aspect of my life.  
Grateful for long, sunny drives

1) Find daily moments to be grateful as many times as you can. Make it a mental game- every time you would otherwise complain think about the small moment in the otherwise frustrating situation that can be positive or affirming. My son missed the bus today, this is frustrating because now I may be late for work or have to rearrange my schedule- BUT I get ten unstructured minutes in the car with an otherwise busy, hard to pin down guy. I will make these ten minutes together worthwhile and affirming. Make a conscious decision every day to find gratitude in mundane situations and you will be impressed to see the subconscious stress dissipate.

Do you have any tips or tricks we didn’t cover? Please post to our comments section or email to joni@choicenetworkohio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment